Usability and Design Researcher
Contract Employment for 1 year or Full Time Employment
Brooklyn (Dumbo), New York
Who We Are
Runyon is a Dumbo-based design and innovation consultancy that helps companies grow.
We are a team of designers and strategists that collaborates with great companies to design human-centered products, experiences, and ventures. Our designs combine customer needs and behaviors with leading edge business strategy. The work tends to be sprint-driven and prototype-filled, and we think about how we can get into market in ways that are meaningful and measured from the start.
Our clients include a wide range of firms, from the Fortune 500 to growing startups. We partner and work hands-on with our clients to design the experiences and businesses that will measurably transform their growth.
We want to work with people who are energetic and brave,
and are interested in working in small, collaborative, and multidisciplinary teams.
We value a diversity of relationships and experiences.
We want you to be excited about getting your hands dirty, and contributing to the culture and business of Runyon.
We value and respect your unique insights, skills, and your life outside of the office.
Who You Are
You demonstrate a clear passion for translating user needs into meaningful, compelling ideas and inspiration, and possess a passion for effective, human-centered and value-creating design.
You lead with listening - you ask thoughtful questions - you can see problems from different perspectives - you are open to feedback, criticism and change.
You can be both self-directed and independent, as well as a collaborative member of a multi-disciplinary team that often involves our client partners.
You are biased toward generosity and transparency, and you want to make a positive business and customer impact through meaningful products.
You are comfortable working in a time-sensitive environment - you can work in sprints and under time pressure.
You hope to start each day with empathy, optimism, and a desire to bring your best self to the table.
What You Will Be Doing
- Supporting, and occasionally leading, all aspects of research planning, development, and execution across multiple design projects and usability testing sessions.
- Crafting a recruiting brief, screener, screen testing interactions, and discussion guide
- Planning/building design-led methods of inquiry that go beyond the typical user interview
- A POV on designing and implementing methods of feedback capture
- Leading a team through download and synthesis.
- Capturing stories and crafting insights that strengthen the design strategy and UX iterations.
- Working with the team to shape design ideas and execution as informed by the user research.
- Presenting user and usability research back to the client in ways concise, compelling, and impactful.
- Supporting the rest of the design team in shaping design deliverables and crafting client presentations.
Your Skills, Qualifications, and Portfolio
- Significant work experience in usability research (or the equivalent) at a design studio, consultancy, or innovation agency.
- A portfolio that demonstrates how you’ve translated research into generative, effective outcomes across a range of design projects and deliverables (UX/UI, service design, product design, etc.)
- A clear opinion on the role of research has within the design process today, and how it might be used to inspire design and shape the design process in the future.
- Experience in and interest around innovating on more traditional usability testing methods like problem discovery, benchmarking, competitive analysis, etc.
- Proven ability to both lead and support qualitative research within and throughout a design project.
- An obsession with synthesis and the crafting of rigorous, compelling insights.
- An appreciation of the power of storytelling and experience presenting those stories to clients.
- A desire to thrive within collaborative, multi-disciplinary teams which include our client partners.
- An ever-engaged sense of curiosity and a love of learning from others and from new experiences.
- An ability to adapt, switch fluidly between projects and clients, and multi-task.
- An ability to think on the spot, contribute during brainstorming sessions, and generate rapid/raw concepts and prototypes.
Salary and Benefits
We pay competitive market rates, offer discretionary profit sharing, cover your public transportation costs, and will begin to offer healthcare coverage for full time employees in Q1 2018.
Does it sound like you're a fit?
If you are curious and believe that you’d be a fit at Runyon, please submit your resume, a link to your portfolio, and a cover letter to email@example.com.