UX Design Lead
Full Time Employment
Brooklyn (Dumbo), New York
Who We Are
Runyon is a Dumbo-based design and innovation consultancy that helps companies grow.
We are a team of designers and strategists that collaborates with great companies to design human-centered products, experiences, and ventures. Our designs combine customer needs and behaviors with leading edge business strategy. The work tends to be sprint-driven and prototype-filled, and we think about how we can get into market in ways that are meaningful and measured from the start.
Our clients include a wide range of firms, from the Fortune 500 to growing startups. We partner and work hands-on with our clients to design the experiences and businesses that will measurably transform their growth.
We want to work with people who are energetic and brave,
and are interested in working in small, collaborative, and multidisciplinary teams.
We value a diversity of relationships and experiences.
We want you to be excited about getting your hands dirty, and contributing to the culture and business of Runyon.
We value and respect your unique insights, skills, and your life outside of the office.
Who You Are
You demonstrate a clear passion for translating user needs into meaningful, compelling UX design, as well as a passion for effective, human-centered and value-creating design.
You lead with listening - you ask thoughtful questions - you can see problems from different perspectives - you are open to feedback, criticism and change.
You are biased toward generosity and transparency, and you want to make a positive business and customer impact through meaningful products.
You are comfortable working in a time-sensitive environment - you can work in sprints and under time pressure.
You can be both self-directed and independent, as well as a collaborative member of a multi-disciplinary team that often involves our client partners.
You hope to start each day with empathy, optimism, and a desire to bring your best self to the table.
What You Will Be Doing
- Craft and lead the UX vision for the firm, including leading and growing the discipline and team over time.
- Empathize and understand the needs, desires, pains and goals of both target users and our client partners.
- Translate user insights and business requirements into innovative, unique and delightful product designs that drive business and user growth.
- Become a true design partner to our client partners.
- Participate in all phases of design and consultancy - conception, ideation, innovation, design, testing, and go-to-market.
- Engage in primary and secondary research (market and industry trends, user research, and user testing).
- Create UX deliverables such as customer journeys, wireframes, and clickable/functional prototypes for both user testing and (eventually) for more detailed visual design.
- Create and improvise new ways to design and present realistic experiences/assets to clients and team members.
- Assure quality and readiness when delivering assets to developers.
- Articulate and defend your design decisions with patience, knowledge and data to back it up.
- Design and manage a collaborative sprint approach.
- Inspire and be inspired by the growing community of designers that we work with.
- Be a smart, effective and generous contributor and collaborator in building the culture and business of Runyon.
- Share in, celebrate and contribute to the success of your colleagues and fellow designers.
Your Skills, Qualifications, and Portfolio
- A deep portfolio that shows a range of innovative UX/UI deliverables and successful in-market products that you were responsible for, as well as the processes/approaches you took to get there.
- Skilled at turning behavioral insights into user-centered designs and actionable prototypes.
- Ability to think on the spot, contribute and lead brainstorming sessions, and generate rapid/raw concepts and prototypes.
- Capacity to convey concepts elegantly through a variety of media and to a varied audience - tell a great story.
- Experience working with collaborative, multi-disciplinary teams that include clients.
- Adept at striking a balance between execution and exploration - action and ambiguity - modeling and experimentation - insights and opportunities.
- A love to learn from others and from new experiences. An ever-engaged sense of curiosity.
- Ability to adapt, switch fluidly between projects and clients, and multi-task.
- Deep experience and comfort presenting to clients.
- Excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills.
Experience and Schooling:
- 6+ years of job experience in product or UX design at a design studio, innovation consultancy, or B2C/B2B company is preferred.
- Experience leading and growing a UX/UI design team.
- Undergrad and/or Grad degree in Product Design, Interaction Design, Graphic Design, or other related field) or the equivalent through a deep portfolio.
- Advanced proficiency in Sketch, Adobe Suite, and InVision (or other platforms used to create UX deliverables).
- Proficiency in Interaction, Service, Information and Experience Design, and Conversational UX/UI.
- Familiarity with designing for AI (Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Natural Learning) is a plus.
- Proficiency in HTML5/CSS/Java/Creative Coding is also a plus.
Salary and Benefits
We pay competitive market rates, offer discretionary profit sharing, cover your public transportation costs, and will begin to offer healthcare coverage for full time employees in Q1 2018.
Does it sound like you're a fit?
If you are curious and believe that you’d be a fit at Runyon, please submit your resume, a link to your portfolio, and a cover letter to email@example.com.